4130 Chromoly steel is a tough and versatile metal used in a variety of high stress applications. It's weldable, machinable, corrosion resistant and can be heat-treated.If you're looking for a metal for your engine mount, roll cage, or rock crushing machines, look no further.
Actual thickness is dependent on mill tolerance
Type 4130 steel is an exceptionally tough metal vital to manufacturing, welding, cutting, and other high-stress applications in industry. 4130 has great heat treatment characteristics that impart high toughness. Durability, combined with great workability and machinability, allow 4130 steel to be widely useful. Common applications include automotive, bicycle, and heavy equipment parts, the oil and gas industry, metal production and forming equipment, and more.
- This steel is usually heat-treated at temperatures ranging from 899 to 927°C (1650 to 1700°F).
- Forging of AISI 4130 steel can be performed at 954 to 1204°C (1750 to 2200°F).
- Hot-working of AISI 4130 steel can be done at 816 to 1093°C (1500 to 2000°F).
- AISI 4130 steel can be cold worked using conventional methods.
- AISI 4130 steel can be annealed at 843°C (1550°F) followed by air cooling at 482°C (900°F).
- Tempering of AISI 4130 steel can be performed at 399 to 566°C (750 to 1050°F), depending on the desired strength level.
- Hardening of AISI 4130 steel can be done with cold working or heat treatment.